Over the last few months, working on the metric² open source project, I have been frequently updating the GitHub repo. As a heavy XS Web IDE user, this entailed exporting or copying the contents of the files from the package into my local GitHub repository for the project and subsequently committing the files from there. Since there is a small disconnect between the source (my HANA packages) and the destination (GitHub) I like to often see what changes which are due to be committed, the differences between the files, or just compare the files between the 2 systems.
Being over dedicated to building solutions to some of my workflow challenges (see here, here and here), I created yet another small HANA native app called Git <> HANA. The application allows you to compare files between your local HANA package and your (or any other) GitHub repo, and it also lets you commit files directly from the UI to GitHub, and vice-versa. If a file does not exists, it will create it for you (on either side). There are a couple other cool features which you can read about below, or watch the little video I created.
If you are a web IDE user it’s quick and convenient to use, and I am convinced it will make your HANA + GitHub integration easier (I am also hoping we will also see more open source native HANA apps on GitHub as a result!!!!)
Features of Git <> HANA
– Compare files between HANA and Github
– Compare inline or side by side
– Commit files from HANA to GitHub
– Commit/activate files from GitHub to HANA
– Repo/branch selection
– Native HANA application
– Easy HANA package installation
– Open source
– handles .xs* (e.g. .xsaccess, .xsapp) files (which your file system probably does not like!)
– Image comparison
– File browsing can be done via the GitHub repo or your HANA package
If you think this would be helpful or would like to see any other features, or would like to contribute to the source … EXCELLENT, please just let me know
Use the HANA Package Browser or GitHub repository as a reference.
Push files from HANA to GitHub or from GitHub to your local HANA package.
Compare Files side by side, or inline
Package Install Instructions
– Download the package
– Open Lifecycle manager (http://<HANA_SERVER>:PORT/sap/hana/xs/lm/)
– Click on Import/Export menu
– Click Import from File
– Browse to the downloaded file
– Edit the index.html file and specify your github username/password (or leave it blank and enter these details using the settings)